There are so many unique ways to save money on travel nowadays: from credit card hacks to affordable budget-friendly apps that ensure the best deals available.
Travel is an expense, and oftentimes people feel as though the price tag is standing in the way of them pursuing their travel dreams.
It’s important to note that travel is accessible to everyone in one way or another.
Thanks to the rise of money-saving tips and tricks and alternative ways to travel, travel is actually more attainable than you may think!
How To Find Cheap Accommodation
My favorite topic- how to save money by finding affordable accommodation! Yes, it’s even possible during high seasons in popular locations.
If you want the luxury of having your own space, AirBnB is always a safe option to find deals (if you’re staying for a while, hosts often offer a discount for long-stays).
Adventurous types looking to save a lot will love the idea behind Couch Surfing. The trendy app allows travelers to stay with locals from around the world: and it’s safe.
Prices can definitely increase drastically in hot-spots, but with Hotel Tonight, it’s possible to find the cheapest deals THE NIGHT OF or a few days before your planned travel dates.
Alternatively, if you’re willing to meet fellow wanderers, hostels are always the way to go. Often fit with common spaces, kitchens, and weekly events, this is the most affordable way to meet others on the road- and have a good time doing it!
How To Save Money On Transportation
Depending on the type of trip you’re planning and how you’re getting there, there are so many ways to save money on travel when it comes to transportation options.
Domestic, international, or van life, there are hundreds of great ways to explore for less.
Finding Cheap Flight Flights:
- Keep track of Google Flights’ low fare calendar
- Utilize Kayak’s ‘travel anywhere’ option
- Keep it budget-friendly and book basic fares
- Team carry-on will always save you more on baggage fees
- Browse Skyscanner for affordable flights and locations
Cheap Bus/Train/Car Travel:
- If it’s available, download FlixBus now
- Download the Rome2Rio app to see the quickest and most affordable options
- Look at Eurail passes and other passes
- Take public buses or trains if they’re easy to navigate
- Download appropriate ride-sharing apps (some countries have apps like: Cabify, Bolt, Uber, Lyft, and BlaBla Car for affordable options)
Save Money On Activities
Yes, it’s possible to book over-priced day tours and activities on your travels, but if you want to save some money, luckily there’s a variety of options.
- Make the most of free walking tours. Most cities offer these, and the tour guides will often give you discount codes to restaurants and other sites in the area.
- Do a little research on free museums and activities. Many countries have designated days which offer free entry to some popular sites.
- Ask tour companies if they offer any discounts for certain ages, professions, etc.
- Browse your options. Some companies are more affordable than others! Also, if you offer any services such as content creation, then you may be able to pitch yourself for free trips.
Eat The Budget-Friendly Way
- Make the most of local grocery stores or famers markets
- Always bring a refillable bottle (you don’t want to keep paying for bottled water)
- Use the Eat With app, for cheap meals with locals
- Say no when waiters offer you snacks for the table. I learned my lesson the hard way in Spain when they put bread and olives on my table and they were an extra charge..
- If you’re staying in a hotel or hostel that includes breakfast– EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN