Recently I solo traveled to Iceland for work and have since had a lot of inquiries. “Where to stay, what to do, and HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS!” Trust me, all of these things were on my mind too before I set off on my trip, but where are the best boutique hotels in Reykjavik, Iceland?
One of my favorite things to tell travelers, is that you have to realize you probably have more friends out there than enemies. People ARE surprisingly open to meeting new people, and Iceland (in my opinion) is probably one of the best, and safest, destinations to travel solo as a female.
During my stay, I stayed in four of Center Hotel’s locations around Reykjavik, as well as two hostels in the downtown area! I experience a little mix of luxury, budget friendly hospitality, and the best spots for safety/solo travel!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission for purchases made through these links. However, all opinions are still 100% my own!
Best Boutique Hotels in Reykjavik for a little luxury:
1. Center Hotel Midgardur
Where is Center Hotel Midgardur?
Center Hotel Midgardur is located at Laugavegur 120, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland. I know, if you’ve never been to Iceland, this means NOTHING to you! Below, I’ve posted a map to make it a little easier for you to see exactly where it is and what’s close by to suit your travel needs!
What’s Near the Hotel?
Literally everything is within walking distance from Midgardur! Whatever cuisine you want, you will definitely find close to this location. But, if you don’t feel like walking more than 5 minutes, here’s my list of nearby foodie places and points of interest!
- Hlemmur Matholl — Think classic, European food hall. Hlemmur offers small plates from various cuisines and cultures. The bar areas are always lively and filled with both tourists and locals. SOLO TRAVEL TIP; This is a great place to meet fellow travelers, as well as talk to the locals. Since it’s such a small space, the bartenders are always willing to chat and share their Icelandic knowledge!
- Jorgensen Kitchen and Bar— Located downstairs in the hotel, Jorgensen has a buzzing atmosphere and delicious food! Its a great way to meet fellow travelers staying at the hotel.
2. Center Hotel Plaza
Where is Center Hotel Plaza?
Center Hotel Plaza is located at Aðalstræti 4- 6, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland. It is located right in Ingólfur Square, which is conveniently home to numerous restaurants, bars, and shops. If you walk through the square and follow the street straight down, it’ll lead you to the Rainbow road, authentic street-lined shopping stalls, and many more attractions nearby!
What’s Near the Hotel?
Center Hotel Plaza is probably one of the best destinations to stay in Iceland. It is in the heart of the downtown area and surrounded by everything you need. It is directly across from the main shopping strip, which you can follow straight down to lead you to the rainbow road. Another huge perk of staying here is that it’s around the corner from the infamous hot dog stand; with the best dog’s in Iceland!
- The Laundromat Cafe — A 3 minute walk from Plaza, this unique cafe is definitely an instagrammable must-see! The food is delicious (try the halloumi burger), and you’ll soon find why it’s named the laundromat cafe when you stroll downstairs to find that you can actually do your laundry!
- Fjallkonan — If you walk outside of the hotel, you’re sure to see this restaurant situated in Ingolfur Square. I went here for both brunch and dinner, and both are fantastic options! You’ll typically have no problem finding this popular spot, as it’s usually decorated outside with Aperol umbrellas, blankets, and filled seats with happy customers!
3. Center Hotel Thingholt
Where is center hotel thingholt?
The hotel is conveniently located right near the famous, rainbow road at Þingholtsstræti 5, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland. It’s the ideal location if you want to be right in the middle of everything that’s going on- restaurants, bars, shops, etc!
What’s near the hotel?
- Hallgrímskirkja Church — A few minutes walk by the rainbow road, you can visit this iconic, Icelandic monument and climb the top for as little as $8! It’s a great way to capture panoramic views of Reykjavik from a different viewpoint.
Íslenski Barinn — One of my FAVORITE, Icelandic eateries! Here, you can try delicacies such as reindeer, fermented shark, and traditional beers!
4. Center Hotel Grandi
Where is center hotel grandi?
Grandi is located steps from the old harbor, and a few minutes walk from the center of the downtown area, at Seljavegur 2, 101 Reykjavík. It’s the perfect location if you don’t want to be right in the middle of the hustle and bustle, and is its own perfect oasis across from the sea.
What’s near the hotel?
Grandi Mathöll — The sister of Hlemmur Matholl (close to Center Hotel Midgardur), Grandi Matholl is the perfect example of a European food hall, featuring numerous cuisines around the world, cocktail options, and it’s the ideal spot if you’re traveling solo!
- The Old Harbor area — This spot is lined with quaint restaurants, cute cafe’s, and tour companies. Take your pick! You can do a whale watching cruise, a puffin tour, or visit the abandoned island of Videy.
“As you travel solo, being totally responsible for yourself, it’s inevitable that you will discover just how capable you are!”
Where to Stay in Iceland as a Solo Traveler:
- Perfect location- steps to the main shopping street of Laugavegur, with many restaurant choices!
- The bar is often frequented by both travelers and Icelandic locals- so it’s great for meeting people!
- They host events during the week/weekend, which is always a favorite when you’re solo!
- Right in the heart of everything! The rainbow road is across the street, as well as many famous eateries!
- Rooftop bar- great for socializing and taking amazing pictures from up above Reykjavik!
- Budget friendly! For more tips on saving money in Iceland, see my blog post.